Skill level: Basic
A newsletter is a regularly scheduled publication used to inform a readership. Most newsletters include news and upcoming events about the related organization and contact information for general inquiries.
- Mass distribution
- Keeps employees informed
- Fosters employee involvement
How to Use
- Step 1. Plan purpose for newsletter.
- Step 2. Receive management commitment.
- Step 3. Send requests for articles and ideas.
- Step 4. Write or rewrite articles.
- Step 5. Secure approval of final drafts by the person providing the input.
- Step 6. Complete final revisions.
- Step 7. Have senior management approve final draft.
- Step 8. Print or publish electronically.
- Step 9. Distribute copies, either in print or electronically.
- Step 10. Receive feedback and incorporate into next newsletter.
The director of quality presented a plan to the CEO to create a newsletter to keep employees informed of changes in the quality department. After receiving approval, the director of quality asked the human resources, sales, customer service, drafting, and delivery managers to provide information they wanted to share with employees. The human resources, drafting, and delivery managers each wrote two-paragraph articles and submitted them to the quality technician, who was tasked with compiling the newsletter. The customer service manager wrote a two-page article and was told that it would be shortened because of space limitations.
The quality technician rewrote the articles and added one provided by the director of quality. The revised drafts were sent to the submitters for approval. After minor adjustments, the final draft was submitted to the CEO for his approval. The CEO made one change and added a short paragraph. Then, the newsletter was sent to a printer. Once hard copies arrived, the newsletter was distributed to employees.
After distribution, an employee told the quality technician the entire department loved the newsletter but would like to read more about service quality tools. This suggestion was incorporated in the next edition of the newsletter.