Skill level: Intermediate to advanced
A Gantt chart is a type of bar chart that shows a project’s expected timeline by event.
- Easy to understand
- Shows events over time
- Shows event correlations and dependencies
- Easily done with a simple application like Microsoft Excel (for more complex projects, it is recommended to use Microsoft Project or similar applications for project management)
How to Use
- Step 1. Develop a work breakdown structure for a project following the 100 percent rule.
- Step 2. Determine the order of operations for the work breakdown structure.
- Step 3. Determine start date.
- Step 4. Determine time required for each operation.
- Step 5. Plot each operation of the work breakdown structure.
Work breakdown structure: A listing of the tasks of a project.
100 percent rule: A project management rule that states that every item, regardless of importance, must be included and planned for.